I Remember You - Skid Row (1989)

This song was released in late 1989, and peaked at #12 in the Aus charts on June 3, 1990. (Just look at those other tracks in the chart then - what a time, what memories. Heart's All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You at #2 could almost qualify for a place in my lists, somewhere).

For me, it became the anthem for a dear friend who I knew too briefly, who died in a car accident a few months later, at the age of 19.

The song has an autumnal, golden feel - as seen in the video - about the end of youth, the loss of innocence and the everlasting power some memories hold. It was released at the end of hair metal and right before the beginning of something much darker in so many ways; musically, socially and culturally.

Allmusic says vocalist Sebastian Bach's "over the top delivery" makes listening to this song a "guilty pleasure".

While Bach was reported to act out a psychopathic aggression on stage, he had the physical beauty of a supermodel in his youth. See for yourself here.

MUSIC FOR MY WORLD

I'm no Lester Bangs. To tell you the truth, I've never read him. I have no musical ability - by that I mean, I play no instrument. But I possess a serious love of music. I just can't imagine life without it.

Much as I love drums and guitars, it don't mean a thing if I don't dig the lyrics. (Funnily enough, for a writer). And the idea of expressing to you what I love about certain pieces of popular music is both a challenge, and a powerful motivator for me.

I'm also a list maker from way back (only child and all that), and there's an obsessive fascination with reducing life's excess to the essentials: could I compile one CD to cover all necessary moods and occasions, one CD that would be the one and only one I'd ever need to listen to.

Of course, it's a futile exercise, in practice. Even though most of my musical interests are historical (not much newer than about 1995), I could never get by with just one CD of music.

But it's fun imagining.

ON SELECTION CRITERIA

I was thinking about whether I could define any of the selection criteria for my favourite songs, and I realised one thing they all have in common, is their perceived appropriateness to be played at my funeral.

Or, to put it another way, to be played as the last song I'll hear.

This reveals a couple of aspects to my personality even I wasn't really aware of until I put it down in words.